IoT: Internet of Things
Ready for 100 billion “things” connected by the Internet?
The IEEE Standards Association (SA) Corporate Advisory Group (CAG) has been working to bring industry input into the standards development organization on the emerging Internet of Things (IoT) trend that will connect billions of devices with each other.
As you can imagine, the impact this will have to the service structure down to the development of connected devices will have impact on tools used to create, verify and test them from the EDA industry to the protocols that will need to be in place to facilitate this.
This past summer the oneM2M was launched to bring some groups together who were dedicated to product technical specification for the M2M Service Layer. The impact on the IEEE, that is responsible for ongoing Internet standardization, is likewise large and not totally known.
I was reminded of the IoT impact this week by ARM’s EVP, Simon Segars. His ARM Techcon keynote presentation this week. noted the IoT is a merging of our digital and physical worlds. He also said predictions are the data from smartphones is “exploding at a 100% growth rate a year for the next 4-5 years.” To make the point even more stunning, Simon shared that Facebook expects 1-2 billion pictures will be taken and uploaded to their website around Halloween 2012. The good news for those who did not have the time to make it to Santa Clara, CA USA for ARM Techcon, his presentation has been made available for viewing on YouTube. You can find it here.
The IoT conversation continues around the globe.
IEEE IoT Workshop: You are invited!
IEEE has restored service to their Internet connection at www.ieee.org. However, connection from IEEE staff locations is tentative due to the widespread devastation of Hurricane Sandy in the New Jersey USA area where they live and work. There may be delays in getting official invitations out on the IoT workshop. The IEEE workshop on Internet of Things has been put together in conjunction with several of the CAG member companies, with direct leadership from our STMicroelectonics representative and input from representatives from Broadcom, GE Medical, Ericsson, Qualcomm and others. The IEEE SA staff and IoT Workshop leadership have asked those who are connected to share workshop information. I am doing that here.
You are invited to attend and participate in the workshop. Details on the event are:
The event will feature a combination of keynote speeches, product showcase and panel sessions with the goal to:
- identify collaboration opportunities and standardization gaps related to IoT
- help industry foster the growth of IoT markets;
- leverage IEEE’s value and platform for IoT industry-wide consensus development,; and
- help industry with the creation of a vibrant IoT ecosystem.
Date: 13 November 2012
Location: Milan, Italy
- Service Provider’s View of the IoT World (SP)
- End to End Systems Security (ST)
- IEEE-SA – Perfect Platform for the New Millennia of Consensus Development
Panel Topics include:
- GW as an Enabler of the New Services in the IoT World
- Monetizing Services in the IoT World
- Security in the IoT World
- Standard, what we have and what is missing, convergence in the technology world, collaboration opportunities.
31 October 2012 4:25 p.m. PDT
Access to ieee.org has been restored. That was quick! You can now access IoT Workshop details from IEEE directly.
31 October 2012 3:00 p.m. PDT
Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, power to IEEE servers has been lost and backup power sources have been depleted. Access to the IEEE website for more information, registration and additional details is not available at this moment. The workshop will be held.If the servers return to the Internet, I will update this notice.And if their absence appears to be something that will last longer than another day or so, I will update this blog with alternate contact information for those who would like more detailed information on how to register and where to go to attend the event.
Posted October 31st, 2012, by Dennis Brophy
- Loading tweets...
- Loading tweets...
- Loading tweets...
- Mentor Enterprise Verification Platform Debuts
- New Verification Academy ABV Course
- DVCon 2014 Issue of Verification Horizons Now Available
- DVCon–The FREE Side
- More DVCon–More Mentor Tutorials!
- UVM 1.2: Open Public Review
- DVCon 2014: Standards on Display
- Just because FPGAs are programmable doesn’t mean verification is dead
- Managing Verification Coverage Information
- Epilogue: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (5)
- January 2014 (1)
- November 2013 (2)
- October 2013 (3)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (4)
- July 2013 (6)
- Part 7: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Walking in the Desert or Drinking from a Fire Hose?
- Part 6: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- A Short Class on SystemVerilog Classes
- Part 5: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Part 4: The 2012 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (4)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (2)
- February 2013 (5)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (4)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (6)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (6)
- January 2012 (2)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2011 (3)
- September 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (3)
- June 2011 (6)
- Intelligent Testbench Automation Delivers 10X to 100X Faster Functional Verification
- Part 9: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Verification Horizons DAC Issue Now Available Online
- Accellera & OSCI Unite
- The IEEE’s Most Popular EDA Standards
- UVM Register Kit Available for OVM 2.1.2
- May 2011 (2)
- April 2011 (7)
- User-2-User’s Functional Verification Track
- Part 7: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Part 6: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- SystemC Day 2011 Videos Available Now
- Part 5: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Part 4: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- Part 3: The 2010 Wilson Research Group Functional Verification Study
- March 2011 (5)
- February 2011 (4)
- January 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (2)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (4)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (9)
- The reports of OVM’s death are greatly exaggerated (with apologies to Mark Twain)
- New Verification Academy Advanced OVM (&UVM) Module
- OVM/UVM @DAC: The Dog That Didn’t Bark
- DAC: Day 1; An Ode to an Old Friend
- UVM: Joint Statement Issued by Mentor, Cadence & Synopsys
- Static Verification
- OVM/UVM at DAC 2010
- DAC Panel: Bridging Pre-Silicon Verification and Post-Silicon Validation
- Accellera’s DAC Breakfast & Panel Discussion
- May 2010 (9)
- Easier UVM Testbench Construction – UVM Sequence Layering
- North American SystemC User Group (NASCUG) Meeting at DAC
- An Extension to UVM: The UVM Container
- UVM Register Package 2.0 Available for Download
- Accellera’s OVM: Omnimodus Verification Methodology
- High-Level Design Validation and Test (HLDVT) 2010
- New OVM Sequence Layering Package – For Easier Tests
- OVM 2.0 Register Package Released
- OVM Extensions for Testbench Reuse
- April 2010 (6)
- SystemC Day Videos from DVCon Available Now
- On Committees and Motivations
- The Final Signatures (the meeting during the meeting)
- UVM Adoption: Go Native-UVM or use OVM Compatibility Kit?
- UVM-EA (Early Adopter) Starter Kit Available for Download
- Accellera Adopts OVM 2.1.1 for its Universal Verification Methodology (UVM)
- March 2010 (4)
- February 2010 (5)
- January 2010 (5)
- December 2009 (15)
- A Cliffhanger ABV Seminar, Jan 19, Santa Clara, CA
- Truth in Labeling: VMM2.0
- IEEE Std. 1800™-2009 (SystemVerilog) Ready for Purchase & Download
- December Verification Horizons Issue Out
- Evolution is a tinkerer
- It Is Better to Give than It Is to Receive
- Zombie Alert! (Can the CEDA DTC “User Voice” Be Heard When They Won’t Let You Listen)
- DVCon is Just Around the Corner
- The “Standards Corner” Becomes a Blog
- I Am Honored to Honor
- IEEE Standards Association Awards Ceremony
- ABV and being from Missouri…
- Time hogs, blogs, and evolving underdogs…
- Full House – and this is no gamble!
- Welcome to the Verification Horizons Blog!
- September 2009 (2)
- July 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)